Picture this: sunny evening, backyard bbq, a giant veggie burger, a gin smash and THIS watermelon arugula salad. Doesn’t sound bad. This is one of my favourite refreshing summer salads, and goes perfectly with any bbq!
The Salad (on a budget):
Grains: You can use any whole grain here. I found quinoa, millet, buckwheat or amaranth worked the best. In this photo I used a mixture of quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth. I have not tried it with farro but I think it would work really well!
Never heard of these grains? They are all really cheap and easy to cook whole grains, which get little visibility because they are not subsidized by the government (like wheat and corn) and they are not ‘superfoods’ like quinoa. But all are equally (if not more) healthy than brown rice (and in my opinion taste better)! Visit the bulk section of your local grocery store and you will get loads of these for very cheap!
Herbs: I find the cheapest and easiest way to have fresh herbs is to grow your own! A basil/mint plant usually costs 3-5$ and provides you with unlimited herbs! Plant it in your garden or place the pot by your window in the winter. Buying herbs in the store usually costs $3-4, they spoil easily and they come in crazy plastic packaging… BOO!
Grilled portobellos, veggie skewers with tofu or roasted potatoes).
Remember to follow along on Instagram to stay up to date on the latest recipes plus lots of easy recipes, tips and inspiration posted everyday! @PlentyfullVegan
Watermelon Arugula Salad:
- Tofu Feta:
- ½ Block Firm Tofu
- ¼ Cup white wine vinegar (sub rice vinegar)
- ¼ Cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- ½ TBSP lemon juice (approx. 1 large wedge)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ Cup grain (See notes)
- ¼ of a Watermelon
- 4 Cups Arugula
- 1 Cup Cucumber (about ½ a cucumber)
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- 1 handful each: fresh basil, fresh mint, fresh cilantro*
- Before hand: make the tofu feta by combining all the marinade ingredients in a bowl or Tupperware. Chop the tofu into cubes and marinate for 2-4 hours or overnight. Note, the vinegar will curdle the milk and form a thicker paste. This is normal and will coat the tofu.
- To make the salad, boil 1 cup of water. Reduce to a simmer and add your grain. Cook on low heat with the lid for 15 minutes. (If you are using farro, this takes about 30 minutes).
- While your grain is cooking chop up your watermelon, cucumber and herbs and mix them with the arugula. Add the lemon juice, grains and tofu feta. ( I scoop the feta out with a spoon and drain the excess marinade).
*Herbs are a very important part of this recipe! But if you do not have all 3 on hand just use more of which ever one you have!
Pin the image below to save this recipe for later: