Spanakopita has been one of my favourites since I was a kid! I have experimented with a few vegan spanakopita recipes, and this is a mix of the best parts from each of them. For the filling, I used my favourite tofu feta recipe from Virtuous Pie Tofu Feta (Best Vegan Pizza in TO/Vancouver). I found the recipe from Erin Ireland.
Looking for more vegan appetizers? Try: Watermelon Salad with Tofu Feta, Mango Fresh Rolls, Potato Salad with lemon + dill (Mayo Free)
Find phyllo dough in the frozen section of most grocery stores (near pie crust or frozen phyllo appetizers). You could also try making this into a fun shape like this or this!
Crispy and flakey phyllo dough with homemade vegan feta, spinach, and fresh herbs
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 24 Slices
- 1 package of frozen phyllo dough
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6-7 green onion sprigs
- 2 large handfuls of spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 block firm tofu
- 7 Tbsp refined coconut oil*
- 1.5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup each: fresh parsley, mint, dill
- Olive oil (for brushing dough)
- Thaw your phyllo dough for a few hours on the counter, or leave overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Start by frying your garlic and green onion in a saucepan until fragrant. Add in the spinach and cook down until wilted.
- To make the tofu feta; blend tofu, coconut oil, lemon, vinegar, onion powder, and salt in a food processor.
- In a large bowl mix tofu feta mixture, spinach mixture, herbs, and nutritional yeast until combined.
- To assemble, brush the bottom of your pan with olive oil, lay a layer of phyllo dough, brush the phyllo with olive oil and place another layer on top.
- Continue this for about 5-7 layers on the bottom. Spread tofu mixture evenly across the phyllo.
- If your dough is too long for your pan, you can either cut it off or fold it over at the top of the tofu.
- Layer phyllo brushed with olive oil on top of the tofu for about 6-8 layers (depending on how crispy you like it)
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until golden brown on the top.
It must be refined or it will have a coconut-y flavor
Leave a Reply