My all-time favourite Christmas dessert has always been President’s Choice candy cane ice cream (very weird I know). But when you think about it, ice cream is a refreshing thing to have after a big Christmas dinner. They do not make a vegan version (YET) nor does any brand, so I decided to give it a go. Most people (like myself) do not have an ice cream maker, so I experimented with a couple of no-churn versions and created this masterpiece: vegan no-churn candy cane ice cream! Although I’m sure the texture is not as good as you would get from an ice cream maker, it definitely does the trick!
Or check out @plentyfullvegan on Instagram for more inspo!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks (+more to top)
- ½ crushed candy canes (+more to top)
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: chill can of coconut milk in the fridge
- Combine solid part of coconut milk with coconut cream until well mixed.
- Add in maple syrup and peppermint extract, stir until combined
- Chop up dark chocolate and candy canes and mix throughout.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours. If you can stir occasionally throughout the process.
- Before serving, let sit in fridge for a few hours (or on counter for a shorter amount of time). Scoop with an ice cream scoop and top with additional candy cane or chocolate if desired!