My all-time favourite Christmas dessert has always been President’s Choice candy cane ice cream (very weird I know). But when you think about it, ice cream is a refreshing thing to have after a big Christmas dinner. They do not make a vegan version (YET) nor does any brand, so I decided to give it a go. Most people (like myself) do not have an ice cream maker, so I experimented with a couple of no-churn versions and created this masterpiece: vegan no-churn candy cane ice cream! Although I’m sure the texture is not as good as you would get from an ice cream maker, it definitely does the trick!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks (+more to top)
- ½ crushed candy canes (+more to top)
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: chill can of coconut milk in the fridge
- Combine solid part of coconut milk with coconut cream until well mixed.
- Add in maple syrup and peppermint extract, stir until combined
- Chop up dark chocolate and candy canes and mix throughout.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours. If you can stir occasionally throughout the process.
- Before serving, let sit in fridge for a few hours (or on counter for a shorter amount of time). Scoop with an ice cream scoop and top with additional candy cane or chocolate if desired!