This vegan lasagna is one of my favourite recipes and also a favourite of my friends and family! Although it takes slightly longer than a normal weeknight dinner, prep time can be shortened if you prep the ricotta or mozzarella beforehand!
Or sub-store-bought mozzarella; I like Miyokos
To make it extra cheesy add some extra vegan cheese in the middle!
- To Assemble:
- A package of lasagna noodles (I used brown rice noodles)
- 1 batch tofu ricotta (recipe below)
- Tomato sauce
- 1 block soft store-bought vegan cheese (optional)*
- Cashew Mozzarella recipe linked above (sub-store-bought mozzarella)
- Tofu Ricotta:
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- ½ tsp dried basil and oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tbsp miso paste
- Tomato Sauce:
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 8 cremini mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Optional: carrots, celery
- 1 jar passata
- ½ tsp each dried basil and oregano
- Preheat over to 350 F
- First, prep tofu ricotta ahead of time; fry onions and garlic until translucent, add them to the blender with the remainder of the ingredients, blend until smooth.
- If your lasagna noodles are not oven-ready, cook according to package directions, if not, ignore!
- Next, make the tomato sauce. Start by sauteeing your onion and garlic until translucent (about 5 minutes). Finely chop your mushrooms and zucchini into small cubes. If it is easier you can blitz all your veggies in a food processor beforehand. Sautee the mushrooms and zucchini until soft.
- Next, add in your passata and a little water (just enough to wash out the jar and thin the sauce) to the pot. Let this simmer while you make the mozzarella. Add spinach to the sauce at the very end, before you take off the stove.
- If you are making mozzarella add all ingredients to a blender and blend. Then pour into a pot and let thicken (10-15 minutes). You can do this in the same pot as your red sauce while you assemble the lasagna.
- To assemble layer down tomato sauce > Noodles > Ricotta > extra vegan cheese (optional) > tomato sauce > repeat. Ensure there is sufficient tomato sauce in each layer and this is what cooks the pasta noodles if they are oven ready. Top with vegan mozzarella.
- Lastly, bake for about 45 minutes (until noodles are soft). Broil for ~5 minutes at the end to brown the mozzarella.
* For store bough mozzarella I like Earth Island or Miyokos
Looking for more creamy comforting meals? Try: Rose Pasta, Butternut Squash Risotto, Vegan Mac and Cheese or CreamyTomato Soup