These vegan tofu nuggets are the perfect salad topping or great in tacos and wraps. Pressed tofu and seasoned breadcrumbs make these nuggets taste just like breaded chicken! These are 10/10 vegan approved!
Try serving with vegan caesar salad, I love it in a wrap, or toss in buffalo sauce and make breaded ‘chicken tacos’
My favourite pre-pressed tofu brand
To reheat the tofu nuggets, put in an oven or toaster oven until warm and crispy
Vegan Tofu Nuggets:
- BREADED TOFU:
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons strained tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup flour or gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup starch (Corn, Arrowroot or Tapioca)
- 1 ¼ cup breadcrumbs (I blended 2 slices of bread in a blender)
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ tsp each: basil, oregano, thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Start by pressing your tofu, this is very important to get the meaty texture. Cut your tofu lengthwise to make the block thinner. Put in between two cutting boards, and place heavy objects on top. Let them sit for 20 - 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can buy pre-pressed tofu, I have linked mine above.
- First, mix your marinade ingredients together, let the tofu sit in the marinade while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, mix the buttermilk, dredge and breadcrumb mixture in 3 separate bowls.
- Next heat oil in a pan. Dip the tofu in the dredge, then shake off the excess flour. Dip in the buttermilk, then the breadcrumbs.
- Fry on each side for 5-7 minutes.