Not much to say about this recipe other than it is the BEST. Chocolate chip cookies have to be my favourite dessert but I have had trouble finding a recipe that didn’t taste like a ‘healthy vegan cookie’. These vegan chocolate chip cookies are made with natural flours, and sweeteners (and obviously no animal products) but they taste like the chewy ones you get from the fancy section of the grocery store! 😍
I found many of the chocolate chip cookies I have made in the past used tons of almond butter and almonds – meaning they are expensive to make! I tried to use a little bit of tahini instead and they turned out great! These cookies also happen to be gluten free, refined sugar free and with a nut free option – AKA a bake sale’s best friend. Also try Chocolate Rice Krispies, or Peanut Butter Jam Thumbprints!
Although the base of these cookie is made without refined sugars, the chocolate chips will contain sugar. In order to make them completely refined-sugar free use chocolate chunks sweetened with coconut sugar. In the past, I have used: zazubean and zmit. Unfortunately these brands are too small to be on Amazon so I could not put the link, but I would suggest looking at your local health food store if this is important to you!
I used regular Dairy-free chocolate! Enjoy Life Foods has great dairy free chocolate chips sold at most grocery stores, and Costcos in-store brand is dairy free. Also try chopping up a dark chocolate bar such as lindt (80% or above), Green and Black’s or Alter Eco (my fav)!
Now I am going to go make these cookies because the picture is making me hungry! Fun fact every time I have made these they have been gone within 2 days (because I have ate them all).
If you try this recipe I would love to know how it goes! Tag @PlentyFullVegan on Instagram, leave a comment or send me a DM 🙂
Recipe: best served with a glass of homemade almond milk!
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- ¼ Cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ Cup oat flour + 2 Tbsp
- ½ Cup oats
- ¼ Cup almond flour*
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ Cup dark chocolate chunks or chips*
- Pinch of sea salt or pink himalayan salt to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave. Mix with the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the same bowl and mix. If the coconut oil starts to become solid during the mixing, place on a warm surface. (Maybe my house is just abnormally cold and this doesn't happen to anyone else)...
- Chop up your dark chocolate chunks or stir in your chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1 large Tbsp onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased pan). The cookies will spread quite a bit so leave room in between each one.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on your oven and how chewy you like them). Let them cool for at least 5 minutes before you eat - long enough for them to solidify and retain their shape but quick enough so that you can still have a warm cookie! 😉
*Sub seed flour for a nut free option
Save this recipe for later by pinning the image below!