What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is fermented soybeans, vs. tofu which is made from processed soybeans. It can have a stronger flavor than tofu, but well marinated it is delicious! It is the perfect meat-y texture in these tempeh burritos and would also be great in pasta sauce.
How to make tempeh burrito “meat”?
Tempeh meat is made by crumbling tempeh and frying with spices.
Tamari – This gives the tempeh a meaty umami taste
Nutritional Yeast – many people think of this as a cheesy flavour, but it is actually more of an umami flavour
Spices – Help with taco seasoning
Looking for more tempeh recipes? Try:
Option #1 – Prep this recipe in advance
- 2-3 Burrito Sized Wraps
- 1 Package of Tempeh
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (4-5)
- 3 Tbsp Olive OIl
- 3 Tbsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp each: Garlic powder, smoked paprika, chilli powder
- Optional - a dash of liquid smoke
- ½ a red onion
- 1 Bell Pepper
- Vegan Queso (store-bought or homemade linked above)*
- Salsa to serve
- Chop mushrooms finely into pieces or use a food processor.
- Heat oil in the pan and use your hands to crumble in the tempeh. Add the mushrooms and mix.
- Add in the tamari, nutritional yeast and spices, and cook until mushrooms are soft and it smells flavourful. ~7-10 minutes.
- While tempeh is cooking, chop onions and peppers into strips, and fry in a separate pan until soft. ~5-10 minutes.
- Make cashew cream by blending together all ingredients
- Defrost your wraps and assemble with tempeh mushroom meat, queso/cheese, salsa, avocado, cashew cream
- Optional - fold your wraps and re-grill them in a frying pan until crispy on the outside and warm on the inside.
* Option to sub vegan cheese for queso, I like vio life cheddar! With this option, you could also add some pickled jalapenos for spice!