Sweet potato portobello tacos are my favourite and go-to vegan tacos! There are no surprises here as it contains all my favourite things: sweet potato, portobellos, fruity salsa, cashew cream and cilantro. These come together quite easily and make a crowd-pleasing vegan meal for both vegans and non-vegans.
To make these I used sprouted corn tortillas from the brand Food for Life. These are my favourite as they contain only corn, water, salt and lime. Not only are they healthy but they taste really authentic. You can also purchase similar ones from the Whole Foods Brand. Food for Life also has really healthy breads, buns and wraps under the Ezekiel brand. Really great options if you want pure whole wheat and grains without any funky additives.
If you try this recipe be sure to let me know! Leave a comment to tell me how it goes or send me a DM on Instagram @PlentyfullVegan. And make sure to follow along for easy day-to-day recipes and tips!
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Mango Salsa
- 1 Cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 large chopped mango (Approximately 1 cup)
- 1 Cup black beans
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Cashew Cream
- 1 Cup Cashews (best soaked for about 4 hours)*
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon
- Corn Tortillas
- Before hand: Soak cashews in water.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Chop sweet potato into cubes and bake on parchment paper for 30-35 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a high speed blender with the water and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth. You will have to scrape down the sides and re-blend as needed.
- To make the mango salsa chop all the vegetables and mix in a bowl. Drain and rinse the black beans and add them. Juice the lime and mix with the cilantro.
- Lastly, chop the onion. Add it to a pan with a little bit of water or vegetable broth. Fry for about 5 minutes then add the chopped portobello, chilli powder and cumin. Cook until mushrooms are soft and pan is fragrant.
- To assemble the tacos, heat up your tortillas, top with the sweet potato, spicy mushrooms, mango salsa and sour cream. Garnish with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime!
** This will make extra cashew cream, see post for other recipes to use it!
To use up extra cashew cream try out this Sweet Potato Burrito Bowl or Sweet Potato White Bean Chilli.
Save this recipe for later by pinning the image below!