Behold, this better than Chipotle, vegan sweet potato burrito bowl. If you love Mexican food, and love burrito bowls, this is for you. Packed with protein, hearty sweet potato and made extra creamy with avocado and homemade cashew cream.This bowl was inspired by my favourite bowl at Kupfert and Kim the Oaxaca bowl (which I just found out is pronounced wha-hawk-ah) for those of you who also call it ‘the Oxana bowl’. And of course also a classic Chipotle order.
Cashew Sour Cream:
The cashew cream in this recipe is inspired by Oh She Glows, the vegan cooking goddess! Check out the full recipe here.
If you make this, I’d love to know how it turns out! Leave a comment, send me a DM or tag @PlentyFullVegan on Instagram. I love receiving your messages and answering any recipe questions you have! 🙂
Try Serving with quick-pickled onions
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ cup of quinoa (sub any grain)
- 1-2 Cups Chopped Romaine lettuce (optional)
- 1 portobello mushroom
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 sweet pepper
- ½ lime
- Spicy Black Beans:
- Can of black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Cashew Sour Cream:
- ¾ cup cashews (work best when they are soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 1½ cup water
- To Serve: Cilantro, Pickled Onions (Recipe Above), Corn Tortilla Chips
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Make the sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Chop sweet potato and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- While the oven is heating and the sweet potato is baking, make the rest of the bowl.
- Quinoa: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add half a cup of quinoa. Let the quinoa simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Black beans: Drain and rinse black beans (until you see no more bubbles). Add the beans to a pan with a little bit of olive oil (or water if you want to reduce oil), chopped tomatoes and spices. Cook until the tomatoes are almost mushy and it smells fragrant.
- Veggies: Chop vegetables. Fry in a pan with little bit of olive oil, water, or vegetable broth until veggies are soft.
- Sour Cream: While everything is baking, add all the ingredients for the the sour cream to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- To Assemble: Mix all components together, top with cashew cream, avocado, pickled onions, tortilla chips (optional) and cilantro. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply