This vegan sushi bowl is one of the easiest meals you can make! All the best flavours of sushi, without all the prep (and rolling)! If you make the rice in advance, it makes for great meal prep. Also options to sub brown rice or quinoa for more nutrition density!
Looking for more Inspo? Try: Miso Noodle Soup, Mango Fresh Rolls, Thai Slaw, Soba Noodles with Peanut Sauce, Tofu Poke Bowl, Vegan Pad Thai
Be sure to follow @plentyfullvegan on Instagram for more inspiration!
Vegan Sushi Bowl
All the best flavours of sushi (without all the work)! Try this vegan sushi bowl with marinated rice, fresh vegetables, nori, and pickled ginger.
- 1 cup white sushi rice (sub short grain brown rice, short-grain black rice or quinoa)*
- 2 cups of water
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- Large carrot (julienned or spiralized)
- 1 avocado
- Cucumber, chopped
- To garnish: Nori, pickled ginger, sesame seeds
- Cook rice by boiling 2 cups of water. When boiled, add rice and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered (about 30 minutes). If you want this to be cold - cook the night before!
- While the rice is cooking, chop cucumbers, avocado, and carrots (use a julienne or spiralizer if desired). Defrost edamame (I did it in the microwave)
- When rice is cooked, stir in rice vinegar and maple syrup. You could also add some sesame oil for more flavor. Top with vegetables and garnish with nori, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds!
Using long-grain rice (such as wild rice, jasmine or basmati) slightly affects the flavour and will not be as sticky since it is not traditional for sushi! But since you are not rolling it won't make a significant difference - feel free to use what you have!
Leave a Reply