Once you make this it will become and obsession/habit/fridge staple… promise! One of my favourite things is to get the fancy parfaits at vegan restaurants or juice shops made with coconut yogurt. Most of the coconut yogurt in stores (such as Silk or Yoso) have many additives, however the ones which are purely fermented coconut milk are crazy expensive! By making your own you can do it for about half the price if not more, as well as save on packaging!
One thing I like about making your own is you can control the tanginess through the fermentation process. I personally was never a fan of regular yogurt, so I ferment mine for a shorter amount of time, which makes it more on the coconut-y side.
I find this works best when you use coconut cream which has guar gum in it. This helps it stick together. I have had the best luck with Earth’s Choice.
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (full-fat works best)
- 2 Vegan Probiotic Capsules
- To Serve: maple syrup, cinnamon, banana, berries, granola
- Empty your can of coconut cream into a glass jar. Use a spoon to mix the cream with the water bit.
- Empty your probiotic capsules into the jar and mix until there are no more chunks. Iv'e read it works best if you do not use a metal spoon.
- Cover with a tea towel and an elastic band. Let it ferment (not in the fridge) for 12-24 hours depending on how tangy you like it. If you live in a warmer climate it will ferment quicker, so leave it out for a shorter amount of time.
- Refrigerate for about 8 hours before serving.
- Serve with berries, granola, maple syrup or cinnamon.