These healthy vegan cinnamon rolls are perfect for lazy morning brunch! Made slightly healthier than traditional cinnamon buns with whole spelt flour, and natural coconut sugar. These are great to prep the night before and wake up to bake! A few frosting options linked below!
Coconut Butter Icing (slightly healthier option, tastes coconut-y if you like that flavour)!:
1/4 cup melted coconut butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp soy milk to thin
Follow along on Instagram @PlentyfullVegan
Healthy Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 Packet Instant Yeast
- ½ cup warm water (bath temperature)
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- 3 Cups Spelt Flour (Or all-purpose flour)*
- ½ cup almond/soy milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ coconut sugar (sub brown sugar)
- 1 - 1.5 tbsp cinnamon
- Dash of Cardamom (optional)
- THE NIGHT BEFORE (Or ~2.5 hours before you want to eat)
- Combine warm water with yeast and sugar. Let it set aside until foamy (about 10 minutes)
- Meanwhile heat almond milk, coconut oil and coconut sugar until melted. Let it cool until warm to touch (bath water again so you do not kill the yeast). Once cooled combine with yeast mixture.
- Add to a large bowl with about half of the flour and stir. Gradually add more flour until you have a sticky dough.
- Kneed on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Oil the bowl (with your hand or a paper towel and cover with a damp tea towel and let it sit in a warm spot for 90 minuets (try above the fridge or in the oven with the light on). Or in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, dust a clean surface and your dough with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll out your dough into a long rectangle. Mix the melted coconut oil, sugar, and cinnamon, spread evenly across the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough into a long log. Use a sharp knife to cut into 10-12 rolls. Let the dough rise again in the warm spot for ~45 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the frosting and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When the dough has risen again, Bake for 23- 25 minutes.
Looking for more vegan brunch inspiration? Try: 3-Ingredient Banana Pancakes, Full Tofu Scramble Breakfast