This greek inspired grilled tofu pita has been a staple! I find it best on the BBQ but also versatile to make the tofu on the stove or the oven. It also makes great prep to save leftovers for bowls, salads or more wraps!
Follow along for more recipes on Instagram: @plentyfullvegan
Used in this recipe:
- 1 Block extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (or Avocado Oil)
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (grated)
- 2 Tbsp each dried oregano + thyme
- 1-2 tsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- GRILLED VEG:
- 1 Red Onion
- 6-8 mushrooms
- ½ Zucchini
- 1 Bell Pepper
- ½ Cup Vegan Unsweetened Yogurt (brand suggestions above)
- 1 mini cucumber (1/4 of a large cucumber)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill
- Grilled Tofu and Vegetables
- 4 Whole Wheat Pitas
- Pickled Onion (Recipe linked above)
- Fresh Herbs: Parsley, Mint, or Dill
- Vegan feta (optional)
- First, marinate the tofu in olive oil, lemon, and spices. Let it sit for at least an hour or overnight. Toss the vegetables in olive oil and salt and pepper
- Bake the tofu and vegetables at 425 for about 30 minutes, alternatively, you can fry until golden brown or cook on the BBQ in a grill basket (this is my favorite method).
- In the meantime make your tzatziki. Mix the yogurt with lemon, minced or grated garlic, and herbs. I use a Microplane or grater for the garlic.
- Using a grater, grate the cucumber into shreds over a clean dishcloth or paper towel. Over the sink squeeze the cucumber in the dishcloth to drain out all of the excess moisture. Add the cucumber shreds to the sauce and mix.
- To assemble heat the pita to make the pocket easier to open. Speak the tzatziki and hummus, and your grilled and fresh vegetables, and garnishes. Enjoy!
Leftovers: Mediterranean Bowl