Summer snacking has begun! This recipe is decadent, healthy and refreshing all in one! It was created on a whim from me having a sweet craving and adding everything in my pantry to a bar. Now these vegan frozen banana snickers are a staple in my dessert lineup!
This recipe makes extra date caramel. I like to use it to dunk apples into but it is also great to make granola bars with. The blog Feasting on Fruit has a lot of great recipes which use date caramel.
Make sure you follow along for more food adventures on Instagram: @PlentyfullVegan 🙂
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1 Cup Medjool Dates
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ Cupe Tbsp Peanut Butter
- Crushed peanuts (or cashews) - for topping
- Chocolate (Sub dark chocolate chips)
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1½ Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1½ Tbsp Nut Butter
- 3 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- First soak your dates for about 5-10 minutes until soft. This is especially important if they have been sitting in your cupboard for a while and have become hard.
- Slice off the ends of your banana, and cut it into thirds. Next cut each piece in half lengthwise (so your two halves have a flat bottom). Each banana should yield about 6 mini frozen snickers.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend your dates and water until they form a paste. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides as you go.
- Lay out the bananas on a sheet with parchment paper. Spoon a layer of the date paste on to each banana. Next drizzle about a teaspoon of peanut butter on top.
- Let the bananas set in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes or until the toppings are firm. The longer you leave it the easier it will be to dip them in chocolate.
- While the bars are solidifying, melt the coconut oil, maple syrup and nut butter in the microwave or small pot. Stir in the cacao powder until you have what looks like melted chocolate.
- Once the date paste and peanut butter is solid, dip each bar in chocolate and top with crushed peanuts. This must be done fast, the chocolate hardens quickly!
- This will get messy! Don’t be afraid to get your fingers a little chocolatey. Also note the bars won’t look perfect right off the bat. There will be chocolate bits around the edges, I chopped these off for the photos, feel free to do the same.
Other chocolatey dessert ideas: Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares, 4-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate