Updated January 2021. This butternut squash lentil soup is a fall favourite. Great for making ahead and meal prepping or as a vegetarian dish at Thanksgiving.
Butternut Squash Lentil Soup:
Red Lentils: These blend right into the soup making it extra creamy and adding some great plant-based protein
Pear: This seems odd with the flavour but it adds just the right hint of sweetness, you cannot taste the pear
Curry: This blends well with the coconut milk, giving the soup a perfect amount of spice
Looking for more fall vegan recipes? Try:
Butternut Squash Farro Risotto, Stuffed Acorn Squash, Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Latte
Follow along on Instagram for daily vegan recipes & Inspiration @PlentyfullVegan
Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Divided)*
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Pears
- 4-6 Sage Leaves
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ cup Red Lentils
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional): Red pepper flakes, extra coconut milk to drizzle, pumpkin seeds, roasted chickpeas, sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- First, chop the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush the squash with olive oil and roast with the skin on for about 30 minutes.
- In a frying pan, fry chopped onion and pear in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sage leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Next, add the spices, stir to coat.
- Add the vegetable broth, and lentils. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Next, scoop cooked squash into the pot and mix.
- Add to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Add back to a pot and stir in coconut milk to taste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve with desired toppings.
* Alternatively, chop and peel the squash beforehand, and fry with onion first for a quicker soup.
Leave a Reply