One of my go-to recipes! I have been making versions of this buffalo cauliflower for years and slightly tweaked each time to make the perfect recipe. I make it almost weekly actually! It is definitely family/non-vegan approved!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp brown rice flour*
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk (almond, soy, oat all work)!
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp each: cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- Salt + pepper
- ¾ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil or melted vegan butter**
- 1 Can chickpeas + 1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp each paprika, chili, cumin (optional)
- CASHEW CREAM
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp each: lemon juice, apple cider vinegar
- Corn tortillas
- CAULIFLOWER: Preheat the oven to 450 F
- Chop the cauliflower into florets. In a large bowl, mix brown rice flour, water, milk, and spices until a batter is formed. Add the chopped cauliflower. The batter should not be too drippy and stick to the cauliflower.
- Bake for 25 minutes on parchment paper or reusable baking mat, stirring around halfway through. Parchment paper is key! I have not had good luck by just greasing the pan. While it's in the oven make the sauce by mixing the hot sauce with oil or vegan butter. Adjust as needed to make it more or less spicy.
- When the cauliflower is finished, toss in the buffalo sauce until completely covered. Bake for another 25 minutes until crispy.
- CHICKPEAS: toss the chickpeas in the oil and spices and bake for 25 - 30 minutes for as crispy as you can get them. Let them cool while the rest of the meal is prepared to ensure they crisp up.
- CASHEW CREAM: Blend all ingredients
- Assemble tacos with lettuce, cilantro, avocado, cashew cream, chickpeas, and cauliflower. Feel free to add any of your other favorite taco toppings!
** I used avocado oil, olive oil or melted vegan butter will also work (or any neutral vegetable oil)
***AIR FRYER OPTION: to make in the air fryer, reduce the baking time to about 15 - 20 minutes for each bake. Alternatively, put your cauliflower in the oven and chickpeas in the air fryer!