Just like your favourite takeout, this healthy vegan pad thai is sure to satisfy all your cravings! Made in under 30 minutes, it is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Don’t forget to follow along on Instagram @plentyfullvegan
Vegan Pad Thai:
- ½ yellow onion (or ~3 shallots)
- 1 large clove of garlic
- ½ block extra firm tofu
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1-2 carrots thinly sliced
- kale - to preference
- ½ pack thick rice noodles
- 4 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- 2 tbsp lime juice + extra to garnish
- Peanuts, cilantro to garnish
- Start by draining the tofu by covering it with a tea towel (or paper towel) and placing a heavy object on top. This helps it become chewy and absorb more sauce. Let it sit while you chop everything else.
- Next, boil water in a kettle or a pot. Once boiled, add your rice noodles and cook until soft.
- In a large pan or wok, start by frying the onion, garlic and tofu until translucent. If you are avoiding oil, use a little bit of water or vegetable broth. Otherwise use light olive oil or another neutral tasting heat tolarant oil.
- Next, add the chopped vegetables and continue to stir fry until soft. While they are in the pan, mix your sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the cooked noodles to the pan with the sauce and stir fry until coated.
- Serve with crushed peanuts, lime and cilantro! I find the toppings make a big difference so don't forget to add!
Looking for more inspiration? Try Tofu Poke Bowl, Mango Fresh Rolls, Thai Slaw, Miso Noodle Soup