This vegan mac and cheese has become a regular in our house and is approved by non-vegan mac and cheese enthusiasts! It is so quick making it a perfect, healthy weeknight dinner! That’s right HEALTHY mac and cheese.
Serve Mac and Cheese with:
- 1 - ½ cup brown rice pasta*
- ½ a White Onion (or 2-4 shallots)
- 1 Clove of garlic
- ¾ Cup Raw Cashews (soaked)
- 1½ Cup Plant Milk (sub water in an emergency)
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 tsp arrow root starch (sub tapioca or corn starch)
- To serve: Roast broccoli, coconut bacon, vegan parmesan (recipes above)
- Start by boiling water to cook the pasta. When the water has boiled, add pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- In a pan fry chopped onion and garlic until translucent. You can use oil if you like (to brown more), or omit by deglazing the pan with a little bit of water or veggie broth.
- Once they are cooked, add to the blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the pasta and add back into the pot with the blended sauce. The sauce will appear thin at first, but it will quickly thicken because of the arrowroot starch. Stir every once in a while until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- SERVE! I love to eat this with some roast broccoli, spinach or kale or adding coconut bacon or extra vegan parmesan and hot sauce!