This vegan Caesar salad is one of my new favourite go-to’s to make on the weekend or for a dinner party! Perfect with cauliflower wings, pizza or veggie burgers or just as a lunch! The extra parmesan and tempeh bacon are great salad toppers the next day as well!
Vegan Ceasar Salad:
- A Can of chickpeas (or 2 pieces of bread)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning (or mix basil/oregeno)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- TEMPEH BACON (sub-pre-bought smokey tempeh)*
- ½ Pack of Tempeh
- 2 Tbsp Tamari (sub soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp liquid smoke*
- ½ Cup Cashews - sub soaked sunflower seeds for nut-free!*
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Clove of garlic (add more if you like super garlic)
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard (optional)
- 2 tsp capers + 3 tsp caper brine
- ½ Cup Cashews (sub any nut or seed, or almond flour to skip blending)
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 4-6 Servings of romaine and kale
- First make the croutons. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and toss chickpeas or bread in olive oil and seasonings. Bake chickpeas for 35 minutes and let cool until crispy. Alternativley bake the bread cubes for about 15 minutes. You could also cook the chickpeas in an airfryer for about 20 minutes for extra crunchy croutons!
- Next, make the bacon by crumbling the tempeh with your hands into a pan on medium heat. Mix the marinade ingredients and fry until crispy and fragrant. Mix with a spatula as needed.
- (This can be done in any order but I think this is the most efficient and easiest to hardest blender cleaning)!
- While the bacon is cooking make parmesan by combining all the ingredients in a blender and blending until powdery. IMPORTANT - do not soak these cashews before blending!
- Make the dressing by blending all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy!
- Assemble by adding the chopped greens to the bowl and mixing with the dressing. Garnish with bacon and parmesan! Serve with extra lemon.
Sub Tempeh - If you do not like tempeh, use same marinade ingredients on 1 cup of coconut chips / coconut smiles, bake at 350 for 15 minutes