It’s winter time here which means two things; 1. I feel like eating more warming hearty recipes, 2. feel a little lazier and more tired (since it gets dark so early) meaning I love easy one-pot meals that gives lots of leftovers. This vegan sweet potato white bean chilli does just that!
Why I love this recipe:
- Easy: the instructions might as well be ‘dump everything in a pot and wait’ (which you technically could do…)
- Healthy: all you are eating is vegetables and beans (a bowl of this will definitely keep you regular if you know what I mean…)
- It’s hearty and flavourful: even though it’s ‘healthy’ and ‘vegan’, I haven’t met a person that doesn’t love this recipe and feel completely satisfied after.
- Super adaptable! Try subbing in chickpeas or kidney beans. Add whatever veggies you have on hand (and add water accordingly). You could try: zucchini, mushrooms, butternut squash, jalapeno or more pepper!
This makes quite a bit of chilli. I recommend making it all and storing the left overs. Will last in the fridge for about a week, and the freezer for a couple of months.
I served this with avocado, cilantro and Cashew Sour Cream from Oh She Glows and it was delicious!
If you make this recipe I would love to see your creations. Tag @PlentyFullVegan on Instagram, leave a comment, or send a DM if you’re shy!
- Medium sized sweet potato
- Small yellow onion
- Bell pepper
- 1 can black beans (14 oz)
- 1 can white beans (14 oz) - Sub kidney beans or chickpeas!
- Tin diced tomatoes (28 oz) - or about 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp oregeno
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (optional)
- Cashew Sour Cream (recipe below)
- Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1½ Cup Soaked Cashews
- ¾ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and onion. Add a small amount of water or vegetable broth to a large pot and let them simmer until the onion is translucent (about 10 mins).
- Chop the pepper and add it to the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Let it simmer for 40 - 60 minutes, until the sweet potato is cooked and the chilli smells flavourful. Enjoy!
- To make the cashew sour cream add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. It is important to make the full recipe and save leftovers. By making less there is not enough in the blender for the blades to catch and the cream comes out chunky!
More warm bowls: Butternut Squash Farro Risotto, Creamy Tomato Soup, Coconut Curry
Save this recipe for later by pinning the image below: