I have been on a quest to make the perfect scone for quite some time. I thought I would start with vegan pumpkin spice scones because they are one of my favourites and of course.. fall. Look out for many more scone experimentations!
These scones can be made gluten free, however I found the texture not as great. Let me know if you make them and have any gluten-free suggestions!
Be sure to follow @Plentyfullvegan on Instagram for more food adventures!
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (See notes for gluten free option)
- 1.5 Tbsp Ground Flax + 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Oil (not melted)
- ¾ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ¼ Cup Plant Milk
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup Coconut Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp Plant milk (add as needed)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Crushed Walnuts or Pecans (to top)
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 F.
- Mix your dry ingredients. Add the coconut oil and use a pastry cutter to 'cut' the oil into the flour mixture. If you don't have a pastry cutter, use a fork. Mix until the texture is crumby and evenly covered.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients. Combine until a dough ball is formed.
- On a clean counter space or cutting board mold dough into a circle (about 1 inch thick). Cut the dough into 8 even slices.
- Bake on a lined baking tray for about 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, melt the coconut butter (be careful it can burn easily). Add maple syrup based on desired sweetness. Add vanilla and plant milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach a desired consistency.
- Once scones have cooled top the scones with the glaze and chopped nuts! Enjoy taking photos next to fake pumpkin props.
* Note: the texture was not as good and 'scone like' in the gluten free version