I have been on a quest to make the perfect scone for quite some time. I thought I would start with vegan pumpkin spice scones because they are one of my favourites and of course.. fall. Look out for many more scone experiments!
Be sure to follow @Plentyfullvegan on Instagram for more food adventures!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Scones:
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour or Spelt Flour - I used a mix
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- 7 Tbsp Coconut Oil (not melted)
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Cup Plant Milk
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Butter
- 5 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp Plant milk (add as needed)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp Arrowroot starch (depending on how thick you would like)
- Crushed Walnuts or Pecans (to top)
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 F.
- First, mix your dry ingredients.
- Next, add the coconut oil and use a pastry cutter to 'cut' the oil into the flour mixture. If you don't have a pastry cutter, use a fork. Then, mix until the texture is crumby and evenly covered.
- Next, mix all wet ingredients in a measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients. Combine until a dough ball is formed.
- On a clean counter space or cutting board mold dough into a circle (about 1 inch thick). Cut the dough into 8 even slices.
- Bake on a lined baking tray for about 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, melt the coconut butter (be careful it can burn easily). Add maple syrup based on desired sweetness. Add vanilla and plant milk and arrowroot starch 1 tbsp at a time until you reach the desired consistency. If you want thicker, keep in the fridge while the scones are baking.
- Once scones have cooled top the scones with the glaze and chopped nuts!