I have been on a quest to make the perfect scone for quite some time. I thought I would start with vegan pumpkin spice scones because they are one of my favourites and of course.. fall. Look out for many more scone experiments!
Looking for more pumpkin spice? Check out Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake, Pumpkin Spice Granola!
Be sure to follow @Plentyfullvegan on Instagram for more food adventures!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Scones:
Pumpkin Spice Scones
Fluffy pumpkin scones spiced for the season!
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour or Spelt Flour - I used a mix
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- 7 Tbsp Coconut Oil (not melted)
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Cup Plant Milk
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Butter
- 5 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp Plant milk (add as needed)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp Arrowroot starch (depending on how thick you would like)
- Crushed Walnuts or Pecans (to top)
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 F.
- First, mix your dry ingredients.
- Next, add the coconut oil and use a pastry cutter to 'cut' the oil into the flour mixture. If you don't have a pastry cutter, use a fork. Then, mix until the texture is crumby and evenly covered.
- Next, mix all wet ingredients in a measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients. Combine until a dough ball is formed.
- On a clean counter space or cutting board mold dough into a circle (about 1 inch thick). Cut the dough into 8 even slices.
- Bake on a lined baking tray for about 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, melt the coconut butter (be careful it can burn easily). Add maple syrup based on desired sweetness. Add vanilla and plant milk and arrowroot starch 1 tbsp at a time until you reach the desired consistency. If you want thicker, keep in the fridge while the scones are baking.
- Once scones have cooled top the scones with the glaze and chopped nuts!
* I used 'light' spelt flour. If you use all whole spelt flour, I believe the texture would be crumbly but I have not tried
Leave a Reply