This vegan tomato soup has been a new staple in my house! Made in just 20 minutes and keeps well in the freezer, it’s perfect for winter meal prep or cozy weekend lunches.
I got the idea to make a really simple tomato soup from Foodess – who made a ‘Campbells’ style tomato soup with really simple ingredients. She added baking soda to make the soup less acidic (like a marinara sauce) and more ‘soup-y’ like the tomato soup we all grew up loving! So I made a similar vegan version!
Try serving with grilled cheese using melty mozzarella – sooo yummy!
- ½ white or yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 large tomato *
- Jar strained tomatoes
- ¼ tsp baking soda (Trust)!
- ½ cup cashews (soaked)
- In a pot, start by frying the onion and garlic (if using) until translucent - about 4-5 minutes
- Add in the basil and tomato and cook until tomato has cooked down and basil is wilted (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in the jar of tomatoes, then fill the jar with water and pour into the soup to get the leftovers and thin out the soup. - Keep in mind you will be blending with cashews later so it's ok if it looks a bit thin!
- Add a tsp of baking soda. This reacts with the acidity of the tomatoes to make taste more like creamy soup (like Campbell's) and less like marinara sauce.
- Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Last, blend with your cashews to make it extra creamy!
- Serve - I served with some coconut milk and parsley for decor.
Baking soda reacts with the acidity of the tomatoes to make taste more like creamy soup (like Campbell's) and less like marinara sauce.