These vegan chocolate caramel cookie bars are extremely rich and decadent, for the sweetest of sweet tooth’s!
Inspired by Twix bars, these slices have a flakey shortbread-like base a rich caramel centre and are topped with a thick layer of chocolate, sweetened with dates. I alternated sweeting the layers with dates and maple syrup to keep the recipe refined sugar free, while still changing up the textures and tastes (also so you don’t run out of maple syrup)!
These ingredients can be found at grocery stores or health food stores. I find buying flours in bulk to be the cheapest way.
Hungry for more dessert?
- Almond cookie base:
- ⅓ Cup melted coconut oil
- ⅔ Cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ⅓ Cup coconut oil
- ½ Cup almond butter (sub runny tahini for a nut free version)
- ⅓ Cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp macca powder (optional)
- 1 Cup dates
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil and add the remaining cookie ingredients to a bowl and mix. Spread evenly in a loaf pan or shallow casserole dish lined with parchment paper. Parchment paper is especially important so you can easily lift the bars out. Another option would be to place one spoonful of the mixture in a lined muffin tin, for individual cookie cups.
- Bake for 10-15 minuets. Let it cool in the freezer for about 15 minuets while you prep the caramel.
- While it is cooling combine all the caramel ingredients in a sauce pan. Pour over cookie layer (or spoon on top of individual muffin tins). Freeze until almost solid. *Note one large loaf will take longer than individual cups.
- While the caramel is cooling, combine all chocolate ingredients in a food processor. When the caramel is solid press chocolate layer on top.
- Store in fridge or freezer.