One of my new fall favourites! I have made this vegan butternut squash farro risotto a few times now, and it is a dreamy fall dinner! Would be a perfect Thanksgiving dish!
Why I love this vegan butternut squash farro risotto:
- Squash + sage = best combo!
- I love the crunchiness/nuttiness of the farro
- Cashew cream…. it just needs to be added to every recipe
Some of my other Thanksgiving favourites:
Hot for Food Holiday Roast (I usually make all the fillings for this and stuff it in a mushroom – easier than making the puff pastry),
Greenhouse Juice Stuffed Mushrooms with Tahini Gravy
Simple Vegan Stuffing(No need to add lentils, double the butter or use EVOO, add mushrooms)!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower – never made this one particularly but this looks goooood!
PV Quinoa, Apple, Kale, Stuffed Acorn Squash – Also great in a butternut squash
Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad – Do I suggest eating this salad with every meal?
Deliciously Ella Apple Blackberry Crumble– Sub any fruit (all apples or apple/pear is good)! I also add some ginger, nutmeg, cloves and lemon
- Long part of butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2-3 tbsp sage
- 8 cremini mushroms
- 1.5 cups farro*
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (sub cider vinegar or white wine)
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- ¾ cup cashews*
- ¾ cup water
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Vegan Parmesean for serving (recipe above)
- Peel and chop butternut squash and add to a large pot on med-high.
- Save the bulb - I like to bake it while to risotto is cooking and save it for soup, sauce etc.
- Place onion, garlic and sage to pot, cook until onion is translucent, squash is soft. Add mushrooms and cook down until soft.
- Add the farro and a splash of white wine vinegar, let it toast in the pan for about a minute. Then add the veggie broth. Reduce to a simmer and cover, let it all cook for about 20 minutes, until all the veggie broth has been soaked up.
- While the farro is cooking, blend cashews with water and a little bit of lemon zest.
- When the farro is cooked stir in cashew cream and nutritional yeast. Serve with vegan parmesean.
- If reheating leftovers, stir in pot with a little bit of almond milk for moisture.
* If you don't not have access to a blender, sub unsweetened almond milk
Blend 1/2 nuts (cashews or pumpkin seeds work best), 2-3tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/4 tsp salt
Leave a Reply