One of my new fall favourites! I have made this vegan butternut squash farro risotto a few times now, and it is a dreamy fall dinner! Would be a perfect Thanksgiving dish!
Why I love this vegan butternut squash farro risotto:
- Squash + sage = best combo!
- I love the crunchiness/nuttiness of the farro
- Cashew cream…. it just needs to be added to every recipe
Some of my other Thanksgiving favourites:
Hot for Food Holiday Roast (I usually make all the fillings for this and stuff it in a mushroom – easier than making the puff pastry),
Simple Vegan Stuffing(No need to add lentils, double the butter or use EVOO, add mushrooms)!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower – never made this one particularly but this looks goooood!
PV Quinoa, Apple, Kale, Stuffed Acorn Squash – Also great in a butternut squash
Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad – Do I suggest eating this salad with every meal?
Deliciously Ella Apple Blackberry Crumble– Sub any fruit (all apples or apple/pear is good)! I also add some ginger, nutmeg, cloves and lemon
- Long part of butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2-3 tbsp sage
- 8 cremini mushroms
- 1.5 cups farro*
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (sub cider vinegar or white wine)
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- ¾ cup cashews*
- ¾ cup water
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Vegan Parmesean for serving (recipe above)
- Peel and chop butternut squash and add to a large pot on med-high.
- Save the bulb - I like to bake it while to risotto is cooking and save it for soup, sauce etc.
- Place onion, garlic and sage to pot, cook until onion is translucent, squash is soft. Add mushrooms and cook down until soft.
- Add the farro and a splash of white wine vinegar, let it toast in the pan for about a minute. Then add the veggie broth. Reduce to a simmer and cover, let it all cook for about 20 minutes, until all the veggie broth has been soaked up.
- While the farro is cooking, blend cashews with water and a little bit of lemon zest.
- When the farro is cooked stir in cashew cream and nutritional yeast. Serve with vegan parmesean.
- If reheating leftovers, stir in pot with a little bit of almond milk for moisture.
* If you don't not have access to a blender, sub unsweetened almond milk
Blend 1/2 nuts (cashews or pumpkin seeds work best), 2-3tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/4 tsp salt