Almond milk is usually a staple to any vegan (or person avoiding dairy). It has also become quite popular among the mainstream population over traditional milk (yay)! It is always a special treat to get the homemade almond milk from those fancy juiceries. This homemade almond oat milk is supposed to mimic that with 3 delicious flavours.
I chose to use both almonds and coconut for two reasons: 1, by adding oats/coconut it sweetens the almond milk and makes it a tad more flavourful. 2, almonds can be quite expensive. By using half coconut it cuts the price making it similar to buying your own. But really I just ran out of almonds one day and tried it and it was amazing!
This milk is the perfect weekend treat and a great way to prep for the week ahead. I love to drink the plain with homemade granola or use it as chase for a chocolatey treat! Speaking of chocolatey treats, have you tried these chocolate peanut butter balls? I love to use the flavoured ones in smoothies to make them extra creamy or use them to make chia puddings!
To make this it requires a Nut Milk Bag. These can be ordered very easily and cheaply online (linked). Additionally, it is recommended you use a high powered blender. These can be expensive, however, they are well worth the investment in my opinion. Once you use one you will never switch back! If you are an avid smoothie maker, hummus enthusiast or baker I would suggest putting it on your Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza list!
- 1 Cup Almonds (soaked overnight)
- ½ - 1 Cup Oats or sub shredded coconut
- 4 Cups water
- ⅓ Almond milk mixture
- 2-3 Tbsp Raw Cacao Powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 Dates
- ⅓ Almond Milk Mixture
- 1 tsp Matcha Powder
- 2 Dates
- Drain and rinse almond. Place the milk ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Note, unfortunately for this recipe you truly need a high speed blender such as a Vitamix, a regular blender usually won't blend it smooth enough.
- Pour blended milk into a nut milk bag over a bowl (in batches if necessary). Squeeze the bag from top to bottom letting the milk fall into the bowl and the pulp remain in the bag.
- To make the chocolate or matcha milk add ⅓ (or adjust portions accordingly) back into the blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Store in a jar for up to a week!
*Make this Almond Oat Milk with coconut instead of oats for a sweeter flavour, or omit the almonds overall and reduce water to 3 cups!